Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Wiki wiki" = the sound Fozzie the Bear makes

I actually found this step (#16, if I'm counting correctly) to be really fascinating, since I thought I already knew everything there was to know about wikis and discovered -- as I tend to do -- that I don't know jack.

So here's my first reaction: THERE ARE SO MANY COOL WIKIS OUT THERE!!! Revised: there are so many cool LIBRARY wikis out there! I'm so freaking impressed with Jennifer Greb's Ambient Librarian wiki, and the Library Success one, and the ten others I dipped into. Wow!

Here's my second reaction: Holy crap, I'm having a hard time reading all of these!!!

What is wrong with me? Alas, I think I am just a printed text kind of gal. I found myself exploring, and reading, and following, and underneath it all, really really really REALLY wanting to print it all out so I could read it. And wouldn't it be nice if I could take all of those pages and put them together, like, in a kind of binding, so to speak. Oh, and if we put some kind of hard cover on it...

See where I'm going? Books. I can only seem to read in-depth informational things when they are printed on paper, best when they are in books.

At any rate, I'm on board with wikis. I really love the concept of sharing information and collaborating with others on certain topics, and I love the CommonCraft videos that are linked to in the 23 Things blog that simplify these ideas without getting rid of essential information.

And I'm old. I don't know if I will ever be as comfortable reading words on a screen as I am reading them on a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment